Raleigh is the capital city and the second largest city in the state of North Carolina as well as the seat of Wake County. Raleigh is known as the “City of Oaks” for its many oak trees. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city’s 2010 population was 403,892, over an area of 142.8 square miles (369.85 km²), making Raleigh currently the 43rd largest city in the United States. It is also one of the fastest growing cities in the country. The city of Raleigh is named after Sir Walter Raleigh.
Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill make up the three historically primary cities of the Research Triangle metropolitan region. The regional nickname of “The Triangle” originated after the 1959 creation of the Research Triangle Park, primarily located in Durham County, four miles from Downtown Durham and encompassed on three sides by the city of Durham and roughly midway between the cities of Raleigh and Chapel Hill and the three major research universities of NC State University, Duke University, and UNC-Chapel Hill.
Most of Raleigh is located within Wake County, with a very small portion extending into Durham County. The towns of Cary, Morrisville, Garner, Clayton, Wake Forest, Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, Knightdale, Wendell, Zebulon, and Rolesville are some of Raleigh’s primary nearby suburbs and satellite towns.
- Fri, 07 Mar 2014 14:59:00 +0000: NC 7th in Site Selection magazine’s latest ranking - NewsObserver.com -- Business
North Carolina ranked 7th for the second consecutive year on Site Selection magazine’s ranking of the states with the most economic development projects in 2013.
- Fri, 07 Mar 2014 13:47:00 +0000: Donated Dodge Vipers ordered destroyed - NewsObserver.com -- Business
Dodge Vipers provided by Chrysler to educational programs have been ordered to be destroyed.
- Fri, 07 Mar 2014 13:38:00 +0000: US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather - NewsObserver.com -- Business
U.S. employers stepped up hiring in February despite a blast of harsh winter weather, renewing hopes that the economy could accelerate this year.
- Fri, 07 Mar 2014 00:02:12 +0000: Charge filed eight months after Raleigh man died following fight - WRAL.com News Briefs
Police filed a voluntary manslaughter charge Thursday in connection with the death of a Raleigh man last summer.
- Thu, 06 Mar 2014 22:23:00 +0000: Marshals apprehend soldier wanted on sex assault charges - WRAL.com News Briefs
A former Fort Bragg soldier accused of sexually assaulting a minor and an adult in Harnett County has been arrested in Puerto Rico, authorities said Thursday.
- Thu, 06 Mar 2014 21:15:10 +0000: 23 Wake magnet schools earn national honor - WRAL.com News Briefs
Twenty-three Wake County schools received Merit Awards from Magnet Schools of America, the organization announced Thursday.
Raleigh on the Map
In 2003, the previous Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill metropolitan statistical area (MSA) was re-defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget, resulting in the formation of the Raleigh-Cary, NC MSA and the Durham, NC MSA.
The Research Triangle region encompasses the U.S. Census Bureau’s Combined Statistical Area (CSA) of Raleigh-Durham-Cary in the central Piedmont region of North Carolina. As of July 1, 2009 the estimated population of the Raleigh-Durham-Cary CSA was 1,742,816, while the Raleigh-Cary Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) was estimated at 1,125,827, making it the nation’s fastest growing metropolitan area.
City of Raleigh
To learn more from the City of Raliegh, visit the Official Raleigh Website
Read more about Raleigh, NC on Wikipedia.
Incoming search terms:
- burnice antwon hinnant
- Smithfield man shoots self behind wheel
- trade it
- Swap and Shop Raleigh
- torrey lamont anderson raleigh nc
- sonja denise franks raleigh nc
- smithfield man shoots himself behind the wheel
- raleigh trading sites
- barter raleigh nc
- joshua todd proutey
Share and Enjoy
- My Fast and Safe Lincoln Purchase – gdrtrader.com
- Bartering is on the Upswing
- Internet Marketing Tips That Get Big Results!
- I need more cash business, why should I trade?
- How does a barter exchange make money?